Before Its June 1 Premiere, Stream AMC's Halt and Catch Fire Pilot.
We've only briefly mentioned AMC's new Dallas-set series, Halt and Catch Fire, which is set to premiere on the cable network on Sunday, June 1, so let's play a little catch-up shall we?
Here's what you need to know:
• The show takes place in 1980s Dallas, centering around the innovations of such so-called Silicon Prairie personal computer and technology giants as IBM and Texas Instruments.
• One of the show's co-creators, Chris Cantwell, grew up in Plano after his dad moved to the region to take a software sales gig.
• The cast features no big names, but it does feature some faces you might recognize in Lee Pace (Pushing Daisies), Scott McNairy (Argo), Kerry Bishe (Argo, too, but also Scrubs) and Mackenzie Davis (That Awkward Moment).
• Showrunner Jonathan Lisco at least has some cred, having previously served as an executive producer on Southland and, before that, a writer on NYPD Blue.
• It's on AMC, so that seems to bode well for it — given, y'know, Mad Men, Breaking Bad and The Walking Dead. Even if the show doesn't get ratings, there's reason to believe that, much like The Killing, it could still be a critical darling.
• It is not being shot in Dallas. Instead, it's being filmed in Atlanta.
• Observer editor Joe Tone is all motherfucking in on the show, even going so far as to self-assign himself a recent cover package on the series' creation, which, like, never happens. He did a nice job with it, though! It's a very informative piece and well worth the read.
OK, now that we got all that out of the way, here's why we're telling you all this. Sure, the show isn't officially starting for another few weeks, but, before it does, AMC is screening the hour-long pilot on its Tumblr page.
So, y'know, go watch it when you get a free hour.