A Breakdown Of How Much Money Was Spent On Booze At The Top Bars, Clubs, Restaurants And Hotels In Dallas In May 2017.
Texans like to spend copious amounts of their income participating in the Great American Pastime. We know this, because as Reddit user BadLemur once pointed out, the Texas Comptroller keeps tabs on that sort of thing and makes all that info public record. Any establishment in the state that holds a Mixed Beverage license must report all sales revenue generated from the sale of liquor, beer and wine at their establishments on a monthly basis. The comptroller, in turn, puts all that info into a conveniently downloadable spreadsheet each month.
It seems Dallas’ drinking crowd isn’t as hot on summer drinking as it was last year.
In May of this year, Dallasites may have dropped a little bit north of $67.6 million, but that figure’s a full $14 mullion less than what was spent in May of 2016, when more than $81 million was made in booze sales at bars and restaurants around town.
So what gives, y’all?
It couldn’t have been the weather: We hardly had any rain in May, and we didn’t even break 95 degrees on our hottest day. So, yeah, it was a prime month for patio boozing and outside drinking.
A lack of interesting options couldn’t be the culprit, either: Our resident brew reviewer Ben Smithson recently gave us the skinny some interesting new area beers, among them Armadillo Ale Works’ mysterious Greenbelt Farmhouse Ale and 903 Brewers’ Mythical Creature. So, no, that couldn’t be it.
What was it, then? It’s impossible to say for sure, really. But maybe a breakdown of the top 20 sellers of fun-time juice in May might help us figure it out? It’s a good thing we’ve compiled that info for us all then, huh?
Dallas Establishments With Top Gross Alcohol Sales For May 2017.
1. SALC, INC. (Hilton Anatole): $1,057,131.94
2. OMNI DALLAS CONVENTION CENTER: $970,543.88
3. HAPPIEST HOUR, LLC (Happiest Hour Dallas): $762,460.00
4. DFB CAPITAL LLC (Katy Trail Ice House): $628,822.99
5. HOSPITALITY INTERNATIONAL INC (The Ritz-Carlton): $549,201.94
6. THE RUSTIC: $537,408.96
7. CLUTCH BAR AND RESTAURANT: $510,127.91
8. BABY DOLLS TOPLESS SALOON: $504,565.97
9. MOXIE’S GRILL & BAR:$474,756.87
10. JOULE BEVERAGE LLC (The Joule Dallas) : $462,956.87
11. HG SPLY CO.: $440,861.94
12. STIRR: $438,576.87
13. TOPGOLF USA: $436,353.88
14. DOT’S HOP HOUSE & COCKTAIL COU: $432,286.87
15. ESCAPADE 2001 DALLAS: $412,350.90
16. JAVIER’S RESTAURANT: $401,735.97
17. DALLAS REGENCY CORPORATION (Hyatt Regency Dallas) : $398,486.87
18. NICK & SAM’S STEAK & FISH HOUSE: $397,290.00
19. COWBOY’S RED REIVER: $390,886.87
20. HOUSE OF BLUES DALLAS RESTAURANT: $390,160.90
Total alcohol sales in Dallas in May 2017: $67,615,139.85
Last Month’s Total: $70,596,070.46
Cover photo by Karlo X. Ramos.