See Killer Bands, Get Free Shirts and Win a Championship Belt at Thursday's Soundselect Show.
It's hardly a secret: This coming Thursday, May 22, at Three Links, we're curating this month's sure-to-be-killer Red Bull Sound Select showcase, which will feature sets from three of the region's most kickass rock bands.
We've shared this information before, but here's a reminder about who's playing.
• Opening up the night will be always-great-live Goodnight Ned, a band on the verge of releasing its sophomore LP. To that end, the band just released the below music video for “Wolves & Crows,” which, I can't say for sure, but I'm pretty sure it isn't about the plight of Jon Snow on Game of Thrones. But it could be!
• Holding things down in the middle of the bill will be Somebody's Darling a band that's — rightly — been making waves in the scene for a few years now. Expect that trend to continue in the coming months, too, as Somebody's Darling too preps a new LP, the followup to the band's very well-received 2012 full-length, Jank City Shakedown. Here's the kickoff track from that release:
• Finally, them boys in Quaker City Night Hawks — one of the best live bands in all of Texas — will be closing out the bill, still riding strong from the release of its 2013 LP Honcho, as well as the handful of tracks that the band's put out in the wake of that album's slaying the market. Here's one of said newer cuts:
But, again, you knew all that.
Well, here's some information about the show that you didn't know — news of add-ons we've been working on behind the scenes but can only now reveal.
• For one this, we've made T-shirts of the show's poster in various sizes. The first 100 people through the door, will get these shirts for free. They look pretty cool. Check out our summer intern Chrissi rocking hers:
• And this is super, super cool: We're hosting an arm wrestling competition between sets to really add some oomph to this throwdown. It's gonna work like this: We'll have a sign-up sheet going at the front door, starting at 7:30 p.m. (which is 30 minutes before doors open at 8 o'clock). The first 16 people to sign up for the tournament will then compete in four-round, randomly seeded brakcet-style tournament for glory. And, boy, will there every be glory: The winner of the tournament gets to keep this way, way, way too expensive belt that we had build just for this show for all of eternity — or until he or she chooses to put it back up for grabs. It should arrive tomorrow or the next day, and we'll get a better picture of it then, but, for now, check out this preview photo of the Joonbug-designed belt our manufacturer sent us last week:
So, yes, expect this event to be rather — ahem — over the top.
You'll want to be there when doors open at 8. That's all I'm saying. And, unless you want to pay $10 cover at the door, you'll want to RSVP your attendance to this first-come, first-served show here, so you can cut down your door costs to $3.
Then? Then we party.